Bus routes will be posted soon on our district web site, http://www.hopkintonschools.org, and an email will be sent to the Email Lists when the routes on published.
HMS families only: To make the first day of school go smoothly, fill out the enclosed school bus form and attach it securely to your child’s lunchbox, backpack, or jacket. Please use the route number for the bus number. They are the same. This “bus” is a great aid in helping students remember their bus number and find the right bus home especially for our younger students.
STUDENT PICK UP AND DROP OFF
Children should not arrive before 7:30 AM each day. If parents transport, students may be dropped off at the area indicated in the large parking lot between 7:30 and 8:00 AM. It is imperative that parents follow the traffic patterns established by the school when dropping students off. It is preferred that parents not park their cars and walk their child to the playground as this takes up parking space which is at a premium. Instead, students should walk directly to the playground. If recess is inside, students go directly to the Multi-Purpose Room. Students may not go to the classrooms before 8:00 AM.
Dismissal for morning kindergarten is at 11:20 AM and the afternoon session begins at 11:20 AM as well. Parents who transport their children to PM kindergarten should bring them to the office and sign in. PM kindergarten students may not arrive before 11:20 AM. School dismissal for all other students is at 2:35 PM. If you are picking your child up after school, please do so by 2:40 in the Preschool Room (former Music Room), where an HMS staff member will sign your child out. Vehicles are not permitted in the bus unloading/loading circle area near the main office before 8:15 AM or after 2:25 PM. Please follow the signs and painted arrows on the pavement.
Preschool parents will drop off and pick up their children at the entrance by the preschool room in the large parking lot. Parents will need to park and head into the building. There will be some new spaces in front of the parking lot entrance that are reserved for preschool parking.
SCHOOL BUS SAFETY
School buses are quite safe and easily the safest means for children to get to school and back. But here are some practical lessons taken partly from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration and my own background to maximize their protection:
1. Allow plenty of time to get kids to the bus stop. Children who are late may be tempted to run into a busy street.
2. Children need to wait in a safe place at the bus stop away from any traffic.
3. Instruct your children to never, ever, walk behind a bus or too close in front of a bus. Buses have blind spots that kids need to be aware of. Before crossing in front of the bus, take five “giant steps” (about 10 feet) away from the bus.
4. Kids should never stick their hands, heads, or any objects out bus windows.
5. When in line to get in or out a bus, children need to walk orderly. This may seem obvious but students become so comfortable with the bus that they forget it is a very large moving vehicle that they need to respect.
6. Students should walk three “giant steps” away from the bus after they arrive at their destination.
7. If a child drops something near the bus, they should not pick it up until they talk to a driver or an adult on duty. Drivers cannot always see children if they are close to the bus.
I hope you get a chance to speak to your children about bus safety. If you want more information, check out this site.